Saturday, April 27, 2013

Week #33: Names on the Family Tree



The Internet is an interesting place.  In my weekly search for blog inspiration, I came across a song named after my niece, Kendra.  What's interesting is that the title of this song is my niece's FIRST and LAST name!  Kendra McCormick is a nice name, but for sure, this song never made it to the Billboard Hot 100.   My niece would probably agree.

I'm not suggesting that Baby Girl Mulvaney be named after her raven haired cousin .... but the link certainly caught my attention!  Don't you wonder if there's a song out there named after you?

ANSWER:  YES!  Actually, NO!  I don't wonder.  There are plenty of Susan, Susie, and Sue songs out there!   Here's one from the Everly Brothers that was released in 1957, the year that this grandmother-to-be was born.   To be honest, on more than one occasion, I had to endure this being sung way too loudly by many well-intentioned friends whenever it was played in our company.  Sort of "in your face" singing, if you know what I mean . . . 

FACTS:   1)  Wake Up Little Susie was banned on Boston radio stations when it was released because of objectionable content of a sexual nature.  (My, how times have changed.)  2)  It is ranked as #311 on Rolling Stone Magazine's list of The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time;  3)  While on the Presidential campaign trail in 2000, then Governor George W. Bush told Oprah that Wake up Little Susie was his favorite song. 

Okay...my strong hunch is that Baby Girl Mulvaney's parents will choose something a little more unique and she will not be named after her female relatives ... at least not after her cousin or maternal grandmother.  So let's just throw out another name this week that hasn't shown up yet on either the Mulvaney or Quevedo family trees, as far as I know. 

The selection for Week #33 is rising in popularity due to renewed interest in "old-fashioned" names.  While this name is of English etymology, the longer version is Greek in origin and means "pearl".  This week's choice is also connected to the song that launched Rod Stewart's career as a solo performer. Without a doubt, it is one of the British rock star's best known songs.  

Just seven more weeks to go, EQM and MSM, assuming that Baby Girl Mulvaney makes an on-time arrival.  Personally, I like the song and I think this would be a sweet little name for your precious pearl.   Just sayin'! 



No comments:

Post a Comment